New Zealand Shipping Federation policy ask for political parties to consider for their respective election policies in 2023.
To ensure we retain a domestic coastal shipping capability we need to:
- Reform domestic training, introducing an apprenticeship style competency-based system that maximises on-ship training and recognising relevant experience.
- Streamline immigration and regulatory processes to simplify bringing in overseas seafarers to meet workforce shortages.
- Apply MARPOL Annex VI Chapter 4 as it is written.
- Develop a strategy for transitioning coastal shipping to alternate fuels.
- Ensure all three modes of freight and passenger transportation receive funding that supports operations and key infrastructure.
- Designate the Northport dry dock as nationally significant infrastructure for consenting purposes.
Read the document: